You might have heard of uninsured motorist coverage at some point, so you’re curious about its coverage and benefits. Uninsured motorist coverage (UM) is a component of an auto insurance policy. This insurance policy comes into play when the policyholder has an accident with someone who does not hold any active insurance.
As you already know, an auto insurance policy helps you protect yourself while you’re behind the wheel. Typically, all responsible drivers have auto insurance. But when a driver doesn’t have insurance, they’re considered an uninsured driver. So, if you experience an accident or mishap with an uninsured driver, UM will cover your damages and injuries. Let’s review the benefits covered by UM.
What Does it Cover?
UM covers injuries and damages to you and passengers in the following three cases.
- The driver (who is legally responsible for the car accident) does not have any liability car insurance.
- The driver who is at fault does not have adequate liability insurance to cover your medical bills.
- The driver’s insurance company goes out of business or denies coverage.
Based on the three conditions listed above, UM protects and covers you, acting as a backup policy. It extends the following benefits:
- Pays for your medical expenses and bills from injuries
- Offers you pain and suffering compensation
- Pays for your lost wages in case you can no longer work due to the car accident
- Covers car damage in some states
- Damage to property is also covered in some instances
- Provides funeral expenses, in case of death
In addition to these, hit-and-run accidents and hit-and-run drivers are also covered by UM. For your quick reference, hit-and-run accidents are typically defined as car accidents where the drivers leave the scene without providing any contact information or exchanging insurance.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
To summarize, uninsured motorist coverage is an add-on to your standard auto insurance policy. It’s especially helpful when the policyholder has an accident with an uninsured or hit-and-run driver.
When you consider all the benefits, it’s best to opt for this extra layer of protection. Please contact us at McGann Insurance for more information about the best policy for you and your loved ones. Get in touch with our office at (925) 447-1744.